Cogdill Nichols Rein Wartelle Andrews (CNRWA)

Contact Us Today


Trusted Legal Counsel In Everett And Beyond

Why Do I Need A Power Of Attorney?

The lack of a comprehensive estate plan or formal powers of attorney can lead to unnecessary family disputes and the wasting of valuable time. By working with a skilled power of attorney lawyer at Cogdill Nichols Rein Wartelle Andrews (CNRWA), you can ensure that your decisions are laid out and your proxy is named well in advance.

Most of the documents involved in estate planning are concerned with allowing you to make your wishes known even if you are unable to do so in person. Powers of attorney are no exception. By drafting these documents, you can clearly explain your position on matters relating to health care and finances while appointing an individual to sign papers or make decisions based on your wishes.

Contact our firm to learn more about your options. Our attorneys regularly assist clients in communities such as Mill Creek, Marysville and Everett in a wide range of estate planning matters.

Understanding When And How To Use Powers Of Attorney

Typically, there are two different types of power of attorney documents:

Durable Power Of Attorney

The durable power of attorney is drafted to name a trusted individual who can make business or financial decisions for you if you no longer can do so for yourself. These decisions might include real estate transactions, filing tax returns, managing retirement accounts and signing other legal documents.

The individual named in a durable power of attorney is an “agent.” He or she has unlimited power to handle issues like selling your property, paying your bills, investing your money and even filing a lawsuit on your behalf (often seen in cases of personal injury or wrongful death).

Choosing an agent can be challenging. You may feel compelled to choose a close loved one, but you need to be sure that individual has the maturity and skills to effectively manage your financial affairs. You should be able to trust that he or she will act in your best interest and not use your finances for his or her personal gain.

Medical Power Of Attorney

The document that assigns an agent responsible for your medical care in Washington state is called the durable power of attorney for health care.

The individual you appoint for this responsibility would make health care decisions for you if you somehow became medically or mentally incapacitated. He or she will be the final say in which medical procedures you would undergo, and whether you would receive life-sustaining treatment if you were dealing with a terminal illness or injury that inevitably would result in death.

These are difficult decisions for anyone to make. You may have certain wishes for how you would want your health care to be handled in these difficult situations. You make the process easier for yourself and for your loved ones if you have clearly outlined the decisions before the unexpected happens.

Contact Us To Learn More

Our lawyers have the experience necessary to guide clients through a comprehensive estate plan. Whether the estate plan includes wills, trusts or powers of attorney, we can answer even the most complex questions from our clients. Trust our legal knowledge and our thorough preparation to guide you through this process.

If you have questions regarding estate planning or powers of attorney, schedule a consultation with an attorney at CNRWA. We can be reached by calling 425-247-3984 or by completing our online contact form.