Experienced Guidance In Washington Employment And Labor Law
At Cogdill Nichols Rein Wartelle Andrews (CNRWA), we counsel both employees and employers in this complex and contentious area of the law. Our employment law attorneys help workers pursue remedies for discrimination, harassment, retaliation, labor violations or other adverse treatment in the workplace. We also advise employers on training and compliance, contracts with employees and resolution of employee disputes.
Based in Everett, we serve individuals, businesses and labor unions in Snohomish County and the Seattle area and, for select cases, throughout the state of Washington.
If you have questions about the law or if you are in the middle of an employment conflict, call us at 425-247-3984 to speak with a knowledgeable member of our team.
Helping Individual Employees Assert Their Rights
We represent professionals, office workers, technicians and blue collar workers in virtually all employment law matters, including:
- Employment discrimination – Unequal treatment in hiring or in the workplace on the basis of race, ethnicity or national origin, religion, age, gender, pregnancy, disability or sexual orientation
- Sexual harassment – Unwelcome sexual advances, demands for sexual favors, or verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that threatens employment status, interferes with work performance or creates a hostile work environment.
- Wrongful discharge in violation of state law or policy
- Wrongful termination in violation of an employment contract
- Whistleblower retaliation claims and qui tam lawsuits
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations
- Americans With Disabilities Act violations, including failure to provide reasonable accommodations
- Disciplinary action – Representation of professionals before licensing boards and administrative review board hearings
- Wage and hour disputes – unpaid overtime, denial of work breaks, docked pay, and intentional misclassification (exempt vs. non-exempt, employee vs. independent contractor)
We handle matters regulated by the Washington State Human Rights Commission, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, and the United States Department of Labor.
Advocacy To Labor Unions And Union Members
Our labor law attorneys serve as counsel for area union locals, representing teachers, firefighters, bus drivers, and other members of the AFL-CIO in labor relations issues. We represent the unions in collective bargaining, administrative hearings, and litigation regarding issues under Washington State and federal labor relations regulations.
Our Services For Employers
It is our goal to minimize our business law clients’ exposure to risk through sound counsel in employment law, including:
- Drafting, review, and negotiation of employment contracts, including executive packages
- Agreements not to compete (restrictive covenants)
- Development of employee handbooks
- Management training on policy and compliance
- Advice on termination or layoffs
When employment disputes do rise, our lawyers provide powerful representation in negotiations, trials and appeals, as well as in alternative dispute resolution proceedings such as mediation and arbitration.
Experienced Trial Attorneys Protecting Your Interests
Our practice emphasizes trial work, and members of the firm have successfully argued cases in most trial courts in western Washington and have appeared before the Washington State Court of Appeals, the Washington State Supreme Court, the Federal District Court for Western Washington, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and state and federal agencies and administrative boards.
For representation or advice on any labor or employment matter, contact our office online or call our Everett office today to arrange a consultation.