Trusted Legal Counsel In Everett And Beyond
Matthew J. Cruz
ATTORNEY AT LAW
- Estate Litigation
- Estate Administration
- Estate Planning
- Real Property Purchase and Sale
- Real Property Litigation
- General Civil Transactions and Litigation
Matt is a partner at CNRWA with more than thirty years of transactional and litigation experience principally in estate litigation, administration, and planning; real estate; business; and general civil transactions and litigation. Though based in Snohomish County, Matt’s practice extends throughout the State of Washington and beyond. Matt’s clients range from individuals to substantial estates to mid-sized businesses. His practice includes relatively small transactional matters and complex estate, real estate and business litigation.
Matt earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Central Washington University (’89) with a dual major in Organizational Management and Marketing. He earned his law degree from University of Puget Sound School of Law (’92), now known as Seattle University School of Law.
After clerking throughout law school, Matt joined a small general practice firm based in south Seattle, then moved to a firm in Bellevue where he focused primarily upon real property transactions and litigation. He then opened his own general practice firm in Edmonds for more than 6 years before joining Beresford Booth PLLC, where he was a partner for more than 15 years, before joining CNRWA.
Matt grew up in Edmonds, graduated from Edmonds High School and married his fellow “Edmonds Tiger” – Cindy. Together they have two boys, Seth and Ben. Seth is a special needs adult who resides with Matt and Cindy at their home in Arlington. Ben is married to Nicole; both are educators, and they are welcomed their first children – twins - in the Spring of ’23.
Matt has been a Board Member for several non-profit organizations throughout his career. He has coached his sons in various youth sports in local community leagues and for Special Olympics of Washington. Matt also enjoys classic cars. He owns a ’62 Galaxie 500 Sunliner and ’64 Galaxie 500 XL that he enjoys maintaining, driving and showing in local car shows. Matt is an avid upland bird hunter along with his two Labradors, Cooper and Jack. Matt also enjoys keeping his third dog (Hershey - Germain Wired Hair Pointer) busy and out of trouble Unfortunately, Hershey is gun shy and does not enjoy hunting nor the 4th of July! Fishing is another passion - Matt has added fly fishing and sturgeon fishing to his most favored pursuits.
Matt welcomes the opportunity to consult and is accepting new clients. Over his thirty years of practice, Matt has developed an extensive professional network. If Matt or CNRWA are unable to advise or assist you, he will happily refer you to a trusted professional who can meet your needs. Please feel free to contact Matt if you need legal guidance or representation.
- Edmonds High School (’82)
- Central Washington University (’89)
- University of Puget Sound/Seattle University School of Law (’92)
- Numerous Continuing Legal Education Seminars and Conference on various transactional and litigation topics for 30+ years
- Washington State Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Washington State Bar Association
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Edmonds Chamber of Commerce
- Arlington Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, Ministry Resource International (present)
- Treasurer, Smokey Point Community Church (present)
- Counsel to Little Red School House
- Treasurer, Shoreline Community Church
- Coach, Special Olympics of Washington (basketball, softball, track)
- Coach, Alderwood Boys and Girls Club (basketball)
- Coach, Pacific Little League (baseball)
- Coach, Sno-King Youth Club (soccer)
- Coach, MTYAA (baseball)
- Sponsor, Marysville Parks and Recreation Youth Leagues (basketball and soccer)
- Represent Beneficiaries in Trust contest litigation proving altered Trust instrument and recovery of multi-million dollar beneficial interests.
- Represent Trust Beneficiaries in trust and business dispute to achieve favorable settlement in high dollar estate litigation.
- Member of Family Office for high- wealth client.
- Negotiated favorable asset division settlement for high wealth client in dissolution proceedings.
- Successfully defend Judgement Debtor facing $11.0+M judgment in multi-year collection lawsuit.
- Represented numerous buyers and sellers in residential, commercial and vacant land purchase and sale transactions.
- Numerous boundary, title, construction, and land use development and permitting disputes and litigation.
- Numerous probate, non-probate and Trust administrations, together with dispute resolution and litigation.
- Estate planning for both taxable and non-taxable estates.
- Business formation, agreements, governance and various operational agreements.