At Cogdill Nichols Rein Wartelle Andrews in Everett, Washington, attorneys in our employment and labor law practice represent clients in communities from Seattle to Bellingham and, for select cases, throughout the state.
Services For Individual Employees
Our employment lawyers represent employees, including professionals, office workers, technicians, and other workers in a wide range of employment law issues and grievances including the following claims:
- Workplace discrimination: racial discrimination, gender discrimination, age discrimination, or discrimination based on religion, pregnancy, disability, sex, national origin, disability, creed or religion, or sexual orientation
- Sexual harassment: unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that affects a person's employment, unreasonably interferes with his or her work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment
- Wage and hour disputes: violations of regulations regarding overtime, lunch breaks, payroll deductions and intentional misclassification regarding exempt versus non-exempt and employee versus independent contractor
- Wrongful discharge: As opposed to wrongful termination, wrongful discharge refers to a discharge that is in violation of a state law or policy.
- Wrongful termination: This typically refers to termination that is ultimately a violation of an employment contract.
- Whistleblower claims: qui tam and wrongful termination claims
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) violations, including failure to provide reasonable accommodations
- Administrative review board hearings: representing educators, medical professionals, and others in licensing and administrative discipline hearings
We handle matters regulated by the Washington State Human Rights Commission, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, and the United States Department of Labor.
Our Services For Employers
It is our goal to minimize our business law clients' exposure to risk through sound counsel in employment law, including:
- Employee handbooks
- Drafting, review, and negotiation of employment contracts
- Agreements not to compete
- Management training
When an employment dispute does arise, our lawyers provide powerful representation in negotiations, trials, and appeals, as well as in alternative dispute resolution proceedings such as mediation and arbitration.
Our practice emphasizes trial work, and members of the firm have successfully argued cases in most trial courts in western Washington and have appeared before the Washington State Court of Appeals, the Washington State Supreme Court, the Federal District Court for Western Washington, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and state and federal agencies and administrative boards.
Serving Area Labor Unions And Union Members
Our labor law attorneys serve as counsel for area unions, representing teachers, firefighters, bus drivers, and other members of the AFL-CIO in labor relations issues. We represent the unions in collective bargaining, administrative hearings, and litigation regarding issues under Washington State and federal labor relations regulations.
Contact CNRWA To Learn More About Our Employment Law Services
If you would like to speak with a member of the firm about resolution of a labor or employment law dispute or another legal matter, or have any other questions about our practice, please contact our office.